Modern dating is complicated but it hasn’t changed the fact that communication is the most important aspect of successful dating. How do you get a guy to notice you, and how do you identify a dishonest profile online?
Dear Mary Jo,
How do I let a guy know I’m interested without ruining the chase or seeming desperate? I know guys love a chase.
I think most guys are very good at picking up subtle cues when someone is interested in them. However, if you have doubts that they’re not reading your subtle hints, here are a few.
- Make eye contact.
- Remember things he said…that means excellent listening.
- Be the first to ask him things…but don’t drill him.
- Smile at them, and get involved with their conversation.
- Like yourself and be comfortable in your own skin, but don’t feel pressured to dress provocatively just to get an eye or two. It shows…and guys read that signal.
- Don’t make yourself too available…you need to have a life…but if you’re too busy, you may come across as not interested.
Dear Mary Jo,
How can you tell if someone is being truthful on their online dating profile?
This is a great question and there is no way FOR SURE to detect an honest profile, but you would be wise to pay attention to these five.
- The shorter profile, the more likely they’re liars. The more detail a person gives about their story, usually the more honest it is. Liars say less so they won’t get caught.
- Dishonest profiles tend to be too upbeat. Honest people will allude to the fact that sometimes things are not going well. Dishonest profiles are afraid of scaring you away so they won’t tell you the truth about things.
- Honest profiles are consistent. The truth is the truth no matter what you search regarding the person.
- Dishonest profiles try to pull you in too fast. They begin addressing you after one date as “we.” No matter what you do with them, they will post it and make it bigger or more fantastic than it may have been.
- If it sounds too good, it is. Go with your gut! Honest people usually have a few things they feel vulnerable about in their profile. Dishonest people rarely do.
Time alone will help detect a dishonest person and their profile, but if you see any of these red flags, I would caution you to pay attention and not begin something you will probably later regret.